jeudi 2 février 2017

UNIT X: FUNCTIONS


love.43.gif Functions: Expressing Regret:


How to express regret

Expressing regret means having a feeling of sadness about something that you did or did not do. To express regret in English, you may use many different structures. Here are some of them.
0035.gif wish / if only

You can express regret by using wish or if only:
I wish / if only + Past perfect

fleurs-gif-086.gif Examples:
I wish I had worked harder.
If only I hadn't eaten so much.

0035.gif Conditional type 3

You can also express regret by using a conditional sentence type 3.
If + past perfect + would + have + past participle

fleurs-gif-086.gif Examples:
If I had worked hard, I would have passed the exam.
If I hadn't eaten so much, I wouldn't have been sick.

0035.gif should have

Regret may also be expressed by using a modal should:
Should have + Past Participle

fleurs-gif-086.gif Examples:
I should have sent him an invitation.
He should have done the work.

0035.gif I regret...

You can express regret by using:


regret + Verb + ing

OR

regret + Noun

fleurs-gif-086.gif Examples:
He doesn't regret leaving her.
I regret the things I didn't do.

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire